Friday, April 17, 2009

Mom's Soft Raisin Cookies



I cut this recipe out of a magazine, as a newly married young woman, over 20 years ago and it is still one of my favorites.

Try it. I think you'll like it!

1 cup water

2 cups raisins

1 cup shortning

1-3/4 cups sugar

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Combine raisins and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. cook for 3 minutes; remove from the heat and let cool (do not drain). In a mixing bowl, cream shortening; gradually add sugar, add eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and blend thoroughly. Stir in nuts and raisins. Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degree's for 12-14 minutes. Yield: about 6 dozen.

4 comments:

Twisted Fencepost said...

Ooooo, they do look good.
I am trying to behave myself, foodwise. But I can eat these on the weekend. I will definitely copy this down and keep it for a rainy (weekend) day.

Paula said...

MMMmmmm....reaching through the computer to grab one of the plate!

Hey, don't forget to show us a picture of the cute bag you made from the pattern you bought while you were here. I'm making my jammie bottoms this weekend.

Ed said...

looks delicious!!!

Adrienne said...

Oy! I'm gonna ... or should I say, Henry and I are going to have to make these! Thanks for sharing.