Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Turn The Page Tuesday-Sea Glass by Anita Shreve

 I picked this book up at a thrift store last Summer, I think mostly for the cover.
 This novel took me awhile to get into but I'm glad I kept on reading.
 Each chapter is about a different person seeming to have nothing to do with the last. When these people come together it gets very interesting.
 "Sea Glass" takes place during the great depression, an era that has always fascinated me.

 "Young newlyweds starting out their life together in a derelict beach house on the New England coast soon discover how threatening the world around them can be."

 This book starts out with Honora the heroin of this novel.

 Honora sets the cardboard suitcase on the slab of granite. The door is mackereled, paint-chipped-- green or black, it is hard to tell. Above the knocker, there are panes of glass, some broken and others opaque with age. Overhead is a portico of weathered shingles and beyond that a milk-and-water sky. Honora pinches the lapels of her suit together and holds her hat against the wind. She peers at the letter "B" carved into the knocker and thinks, This is the place where it all begins.

This is fascinating to read  when adversary comes how each persons character comes through some good & others bad.

 For more great books to read pop over to Some of a Kind

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

I read this a while ago ... I remember I liked it but I don't remember much else about it except I did want to find sea glass while at the beach and was sadly disapointed that I didn't ;-)

Paula said...

Sounds good. I've only read one other by Anita Shreve and enjoyed it, so will keep an eye out for this one.

I got a Jane Kirkpatrick at Goodwill this evening - A Sweetness to the Soul -