Sunday, September 11, 2011

Bread & Butter Pickles

 We're having a bumper crop of cucumbers, so I decided to make bread & butter pickles.


 I found this recipe in Grandma Lida's cook book.

Bread and Butter Pickles
6 quarts sliced cucumbers
6 medium onions, sliced
1 cup salt
6cups vinegar
6 cups sugar
1 tsp. turmeric
1/2 cup mustard seed
1/4-1/3 tsp. cayenne pepper

 Combine sliced onions and cucumbers with salt and let stand 3 hours.
Drain well. Rinse and drain. Combine vinegar, sugar, turmeric, mustard seed, celery seed and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Add cucumbers and onions and heat just to simmering point. Avoid actual boiling or it will soften pickles. Pack in hot, sterilized jars and seal immediately.
 Makes 9-10 pints.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Yum! They look delicious!!

Twisted Fencepost said...

My Captain loves bread and butter pickles. I'll be saving this one and trying it when I have a bumper crop of cucumbers.

Susan said...

I love the smell of bread and butter pickles cooking!