Saturday, May 29, 2010

Schools Out

The last day of school.
This was my favorite day of the entire school year.
Freedom
No more school
No more books (except the ones I wanted to read)
No more teachers dirty looks.
The warm Summer days
stretched out before me.
Time to sit under a tree & daydream.
Play in the woods.
Go swimming & on picnics.
Elgin Oregon, the town I grew up in has a fabulous drive thru . They have the best BBQ fries you have ever tasted!
You could get an ice cream cone for a dime. Each student would get a dime to go to Ceasers and buy a chocolate or vanilla cone on the last day of school.
The first part of the day would be spent turning in your books. By lunch time we where free to do as we pleased.
Hanging around outside soaking up the sun & visiting with friends. I even remember one year a few of us sneaking down to the river to play for awhile.
What fun!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

FUN MEMORIES YOU HAVE SHARED. I LOVED THE SUMMERTIME AND ENJOYED READING AND RIDING MY BIKE. WE HAD AN OLD FASHIONED DRUG STORE THAT SERVED COKE FLOATS AND WARM HONEY BUNS!

lisa said...

mmmm, my mouth is watering just reading about that food.

Karen Sue said...

we are in NY state with still a month left, but our last day was a short day, just long enough for the seniors to practice graduation, then we were loose and several years a bunch of us went to the beach and then we'd come and watch graduation with sunburns!!

Mary said...

I do not miss being a child, but I do miss the joy of things like the last day of school. Knowing the warmth was going to stay for a few months, and let the play and freedom begin.

Thank you for the reminder!

Paula said...

It was fun! We grew up in the best place ever, didn't we?! Boy, do I ever want some BBQ french fries now~

Twisted Fencepost said...

Ahhh, I remember it well. Well, my east coast version anyway. tee hee