Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Eagles



Three baby eaglets where hatched and raised this spring with in viewing distance of our house.

We could hear them squawking when their parents would bring them food. It wasn't long before we would see all five of them out taking flight lessons.

This afternoon I looked out my window and was amazed to see two of them chasing a cotton tail rabbit.

The rabbit was zig zagging thru the snow trying to get away, as the golden eagles where in hot pursuit chasing it down the draw.

The bunny may have escaped. It looked as though the eagles huge wings where making the chase a bit awkward and there are many bunny holes under rocks that he could have scurried into.

Yes, I think that did happen. Now I see one of them sitting on a rock keeping an eye out for any wayward rabbit that may venture out.

Magpie's are flying around hoping the eagle is successful, so they can steal a morsel or two.

In the picture above, you can see the nest in the wall of the cliff, below Heart Mountain.

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

What a beautiful picture. I'm sure it's been amazing watching the evolution of life.

Twisted Fencepost said...

Checking up on them daily must have been a treat. I would have had binoculars and been a peeping Tom.
Thanks for sharing that.

Shelby said...

I received the MOST SPECIAL PACKAGE TODAY!!!!!!! Beautiful beautiful beautiful stationery!!!! And an awesomely lovely pen too...thank you thank you thank you Stacy!!!

You made my day :)

Hugs to you..

Ed said...

Very nice, lets see the eagles... :-)

Paula said...

Very cool! I thought Eagles always nested in high tree's.