Sunday, October 9, 2011

Apple Butter


It's Apple season!


 I made apple butter last week and it is delish. I got the recipe out of the old stand by cook book "Better Homes and Garden"

Apple Butter
6 pounds tart apples
6 cups cider or apple juice
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

 Core and quarter unpaired apples. In 4-to 6-quart kettle, combine apples and cider. Cook about 30 minutes, or till soft. Pass through food mill. Boil gently 30 minutes: stir over low heat till sugar dissolves. Boil gently, stirring frequently, till of desired thickness. Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath (half-pints) 10 minutes. Makes 4 half pints.

Toot-a-loo now I'm off to make apple sauce.

3 comments:

Twisted Fencepost said...

I LOVE me some apple butter! And one day I'll try making it.
Years ago I had neighbors that would make it in a big copper kettle outside over an open fire. They made a bunch too. I guess to share with family.

Susan said...

I LOVE homemade apple butter! It tastes and smells like fall time. :)

Paula said...

Yummmmmm! I made apple cranberry cobbler the other night and the whole house was filled with fall! Delishious!