Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

We brought in the new year watching "The Twilight Zone" and eating popcorn. I think I've seen most of the episodes, but I still love to watch this show that lets your imagination flow into unknown dimensions.

One of the episodes has two lady's in a sweltering apartment. The Earth is moving to close to the sun and turning it into an oven. Water is scarce and sweat constantly rolls.
It turns out the young woman is only dreaming. It seems she has been running a high fever and when she wakes up the opposite is happening. The Earth is moving away from the sun. Everything is freezing and it will soon become a ball of ice.

This story reminds me of a true North Dakota tale.
In the year of 1936 the average winter temp was 30 below. Back then there where on modern conveniences. People had to brave the cold to take care of the animals. There was no indoor plumbing, so going to the out house was a very cold trip.

The summer was just as bad. Hot and dry, not a drop of rain all summer. The land was parched with average temperatures around 110 degrees. It got up to 120 at one point.

This morning it was 24 below. The high will be 10 below.
I hope we're not in for a year like 1936!

4 comments:

Shelby said...

happy new year and stay warm today :)

Twisted Fencepost said...

Oh, me too!!
I don't like cold at all!
If it comes, I hope it goes QUICKLY!
Happy New Year to you and your family!

Karen Sue said...

Oh WOW!! 24 below...could you just pass that along to someone besides me. I don't think I'm up to it this week. I could probably do zero, if I needed to...

Paula said...

Brrrr! Glad that you guys have indoor plumbin' and hope your winter isn't quite as chilly as that one in 1936!
Happy New Year!