Sunday, February 19, 2012

Northern Lights

 

 We drove to Rugby 40 miles north last night to dine at the newly remodeled Dakota Farms restaurant. The walls where covered with granite tiles in carmel tones. The recessed lighting and wall sconces resembled salt lamps which promote the power of healing. It was all tastefully done and very busy.

 We enjoyed an ice cold draft beer with our tender, juicy prime rib dinner. I'm sure we will be making this trip in the future when in the mood for a nice meal.

 Driving home on this dark winters night I couldn't help but notice how bright and clear the stars where sparkling in the sky. Gazing to the north I noticed a finger of light streaming down but looking back I thought, no It's just a reflection from inside the cab of the Blazer. But driving further we noticed these strange lights changing shape and becoming brighter. We stopped along the gravel road and turned off our lights. I zipped up my coat, pulled up my hood and stood outside gazing up into the night sky to view the waves of light moving acrossed the sky. This is the first time I've seen the northern lights and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. We drove acrossed the frozen ice of Antelope Lake to get home and watched them from the darkness of the lake.

 What an awe inspiring night this was. A wonderful dinner and the unexpected gift of viewing the Aurora Borialis on a winters eve.
 

 

3 comments:

Paula said...

Oh my gosh! That is so pretty! I always remember Mom talking about them but don't remember seeing them.
The restaraunt sounds wonderful too. Glad you guys had such a fun night!

Susan said...

So glad you guys had such a special evening. A wonderful dinner topped off by what feels like nothing short of a miracle! I have been blessed to see the Northern Lights several times and they are simply amazing, like a special blessing sent especially to remind us there is so much more out there.

Becky said...

Oh wow!!! What an evening to remember. I've never seen the northern lights but hope to one day.